Dentistry is a lucrative career option. After completing a BDS course, you can either work in a hospital or set up your private practice. If you are interested in becoming a dentist and are planning for BDS admission, you will be intrigued to know dentistry is among the oldest medical professions. It dates back to the era of the Indus Valley Civilization. Here we take a quick look at some interesting facts
on history of dentistry:
- The very first dentist ever practiced around 2600 BC: Though by the 1700s, dentistry became a more defined profession, dentistry has been in practice for way too long. An Egyptian scribe is considered to be the first dentist ever. The fact that he practiced dentistry came to light because of the inscription on his tombstone which described his work.
- Ancient Greeks brushed their teeth with rust: Though toothpaste was invented in 1824, when a dentist added soap to dental paste, cleaning teeth dates back to the Ancient Greek era. Ancient Greeks used a tooth cleaning paste made of rust, talc, and coral powder. They would dip a twig
into the mixture and rub it over their teeth.
- Beeswax was used as dental fillings thousands years ago Today, there are several dental filling materials available. Gold, porcelain, silver amalgam or composite resin fillings are some of the common ones. Interestingly, around 6500 years ago beeswax was used as dental fillings because of its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Dentures were made of animal teeth Modern dentures offer a greater degree of comfort. They give the face a proper structure. But do you know that in 700 BCE dentures-like sets of teeth were made from animal or human teeth. Full sets of dentures were made of wood in Japan in the early 16th Century.
- First dental college was set up in 1840: Baltimore College of Dental Surgery was the first dental college. In the US, Alabama enacted the first dental practice act in 1841.
- Orthodontics was the first recognised speciality in dentistry: Orthodontics is a sub-specialty of dentistry that deals with mal-positioned teeth and jaws. It was the first recognised specialty. Pierre Fauchard, the father of modern orthodontics, wrote a book on his practice.
- Dental drills were foot powered: Electric dental handpiece systems offer dentists speed and precision. Interestingly, in the 17th century, dental drills were operated using a dental foot engine. Dentists back then would push the wheel’s pedals fast to turn the device on.
Karnavati School of Dentistry is one of the most reputed colleges in Gujarat to offer Bachelor of Dental Surgery and Master of Dental Surgery.
Looking for BDS colleges in Gujarat?
Karnavati School of Dentistry is one of the most reputed colleges in Gujarat to offer Bachelor of Dental Surgery and Master of Dental Surgery. We are at 31st position in India and 1st in Gujarat in NIRF ranking. For the BDS admissions inquiry, call us at +916359879581 or +91 9624021999 or +917935045122 or +917935045121. You can also fill in the prescribed form that is available here. The form will also be published in leading newspapers of Gujarat.