A Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) is a postgraduate degree in dentistry. Students who have graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Dental Science are eligible for MDS admission. The duration of the course is three years, although students who have already completed a postgraduate diploma recognised by the Dental Council of India (DCI) may be eligible to complete the course in two years. MDS degrees are offered in various specialisations. If you are planning to study in one of the best private MDS colleges in India, here are useful insights on top specialisations and their scope in India:
1. Oral medicine & radiology: Oral medicine and radiology is a branch of dentistry that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the jaws, mouth and face. You will also learn the skills needed to use advanced imaging methods to diagnose oral disease. You can learn how to examine oral activity and distinguish between different types of oral diseases. MDS graduates in oral medicine and radiology are in high demand both in India and abroad. There are numerous career opportunities available in private institutions, the government sector as well as dental colleges. Those with further training and experience can find career opportunities in research or teaching positions.
Periodontology deals with the treatment of periodontal disease, a chronic inflammatory disease that affects the gums and bone supporting the teeth. Periodontists take care of challenging periodontal cases. After specialising in periodontology, you can start your own medical practice or work as consulting doctors for clinics and hospitals. You can also work for companies that manufacture products related to oral health and biomaterials that are used in periodontics.
3. Prosthodontics and crown bridge:
Prosthodontics is a branch of dentistry that focuses on the restoration and replacement of teeth. It also aims to meticulously preserve the health of hard and soft tissues to provide patients with a better quality of life. After completing specialising in prosthodontics, you can work as dental surgeon, dental assistant and pathologist in clinics and hospitals. You can also work as a consultant with companies that manufacture oral care products.
4. Oral & maxillofacial pathology:
Oral and maxillofacial pathology is a unique specialty that combines the skills of pathology and dentistry to diagnose and manage diseases that affect the oral and maxillofacial region. You can work as an oral and maxillofacial pathologist. Oral and maxillofacial pathologists use various tools to investigate the causes and effects of a disease, such as radiographic imaging, clinical examinations, biochemical tests and microscopic analysis.
5. Pedodontics and preventive dentistry :
As the name suggests, the field of preventive dentistry is involved with the prevention and management of oral health problems in adolescents, children and people who need special healthcare needs. After completing the pedodontics and preventive dentistrycourse, you can get job opportunities in various fields as a dental surgeon, dentist, technical expert-dentistry, pharmacovigilance and dental lab technician. Preventive dentistry is a rapidly growing field that offers an exciting and challenging career for those who are interested in promoting oral health.
6. Conservative & endodontics:
Conservative dentistry is a branch of dentistry that focuses on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of oral diseases. It trains the candidates in root canal therapy and root canal treatment. After completing the conservative and endodontics course, you can pursue careers in the general dentistry as a maxillofacial technician or dental assistant.
Are you looking for the best private MDS colleges in India?
Karnavati School of Dentistry is one of the leading private MDS colleges in India. We offer a good learning environment that nurtures the spirit of inquiry and innovation. Our campus has state-of-the-art AC lecture halls, state-of-the-art laboratories and dedicated OPD where students are trained in professionalism under the guidance of industry experts. We offer MDS in the following specialities
- Oral medicine and radiology
- Oral and maxillofacial pathology
- Prosthodontics crown bridge
- Conservative and endodontics